10.26.2020

10/24/2020

 What happened on Friday? I might have biked up to Alpine. It was a warm and foggy day. At Gray Crag I saw a big brown bird perched below in a tree on the river bank. The nape of its neck was white. Between Ruckman Point and Bombay Hook I saw and heard two Pileated Woodpeckers in the trees below. The Ravens were there again but less numbers than the previous day. The previous day I got good pictures of a Black Vulture. The reason I came back on Friday was to try and read the wing tag on the Black Vulture. No Black Vulture on Friday though. I saw the pre-adult Eagle flying low over the river for about sixty seconds before it disappeared in the trees. There was a flock of small birds murmurating, rapidly changing direction and landing in the treetops below and above the cliff edge. I'm thinking Juncos or Siskins? A man stopped to talk to me. He had a weird way of speaking that included a lot of long pauses. He spoke well though. His wife was into the birding scene. When I told him I biked there from the city, he mentioned the new bike lane on the George Washington Bridge. I didn't know they were building one. I was back at my bike by 5:40 pm and it was dark by the time I was in Manhattan. I lost my front light somewhere on Thursday. I drank two beers at home and went back out for a walk around 10:05 pm. I walked north on Broadway passed this bar, Tubby Hook. There two men sitting outside who looked sad and a small group of people inside. I walked down to Ft Tryon Public House. They wouldn't seat me outside and last call was 11:30 pm. I saw at a table near pushed up against the bar and ordered a Flower Power and the green bowl. Two people at the corner of the bar were on a first date. The man was an employee of Columbia Hospital. The restaurant had about 30 people in it. Standard pop-music jams were playing loudly. The TV most easily viewable from my seat was showing Smackdown. A tag team appeared on the entrance stage as red Solo cups rained down on them. The bar was decorated for Halloween. There was a two-foot tall scarecrow on the bar behind me and a pumpkin on the high table across the room where a group of people were singing along to the music and drinking White Claw. A group of three older women entered the restaurant and complained the music was too loud. The hostess checked their temperatures and signed in anyway. I drank a second beer and left. I woke up pretty hungover the next day and met my cousin in the park around 1pm. We walked from the pedestrian bridge to Dyckman Fields up to Muscota Marsh and then to Buuni Cafe. After she left I got a few shots of a Blackpoll Warbler and a Pine Siskin. I talked to Bill, the guy who I always see with the 500mm lens. The way he says warbles make me think he's from Boston or somewhere else than NYC. On my way home I had a beer and pad thai with scallops at Yummy Thai. A young couple sat near me in the dining space setup on the sidewalk.  I watched some college football when I got home and drank another beer. I started watching Dead Zone with Christopher Walken and realized I had seen it before. I forget what I watched after that. The temperature dropped into the 40s overnight and stayed cold and crisp on Sunday. I left at 7:05 am on bike for EC and arrived around 7:43 am. There was no one checking temperatures on the west side of the building so I had to walk around the south wing to the east (main entrance). We turned on all the monitors and put on our headsets. I drank some coffee and ate a chocolate croissant from the buffet set up in the western hallway. Andy asked us not to touch the telestrator. We wanted to interact with the touchscreen function to familiarize ourselves. Jim broke us around 11 am. My rear tire needed air when I got to the bike rack. I used the pump bolted to the cement outside the rack enclosure. The tire held air for the ride home. I got my camera and went back to the marsh and fields. The Marsh Wren, a rarely sighted bird, made a brief appearance as I was looking for sparrows. My pictures came out just okay. When I was napping on the couch later that afternoon Anna called me. She wanted to see if I needed my stock certificates for AT&T shares Florence gifted me back in the 90s. Pete applied a substance on the floors in the background and said he needed to be institutionalized. I ate a small cold burrito and a single ramen pack and watched Unsolved Mysteries before bed.